Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Event ID 51: An error was detected on device ... during a paging operation.

Event ID 51 An error was detected on device \device\hardisk#\# during a paging operation.

I've had quite a few of these problems before. I've lost one hard drive and, in the most recent ocurrance, ability to use new Apple keyboard on the Windows machine. I guess it was probably bad karma to use Apple hardware on the Microsoft OS.

The problem caused when the cached data were unable to write to the disk. Here are a few scenarios that could cause Event ID 51:

  • Software issue. I've had problem with Windows 2000 and earlier version of Windows XP. But the problem is gone after moving to Windows XP sp2. Try to disable cache, optimized for quick removal mode.
  • Problem with hard drive. I've lost one drive right after the drive warranty expired. I didn't noticed Event ID 51 and other drive errors were filling up event viewer until the warranty expired. The drive died soon after but I was able to backup the data.
  • Check for manufacture service page. There might be known issue with drive.
It could also be:
  • Chipsets and driver for USB, IDE, SATA, etc.
  • Cable
I still don't know why the Event ID 51 happens when I connect the new Apple keyboard. No other USB devices causes this: USB MO external drive, other USB hard drive, USB printer. But somehow the Apple keyboard is messing up with my four drives USB enclosure.

No comments:

Post a Comment