Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Storage, storage and more storage

Few days ago, InPhase has started shipping their 300GB holographic storage. With $18,000 for the drive and $180 for a 300GB disk, I won't be allowed to dream about getting this one. Today I saw another post on crunchgear, a company is planning to ship 1TB optical storage in 2010. The hard drive price getting cheaper every second and having trouble with a optical storage before, I have no idea what kind of the company is willing to buy one of these optical storages.

Personally I've been moving away from optical storages, CD/DVD, DVD-RAM, then MO, to hard drive. 100 pack 4.7 writable DVD costs about $20, that is 23G/$ and a 400GB hard drive costs around $100, i.e., 4GB/$. For me, not swapping a single DVD worths more than the one sixth price.

Unless those optical disk costs around $1, I won't be moving back to optical drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment